Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Life's a Beach

So, I just checked on the weather back home… and I can’t help but chuckle when I look at my surroundings (the US Virgin Islands) and think about all of my friends at home getting absolutely douched by snowstorms. As I previously vacation-name-dropped… I am here in the magnificent St. Thomas soaking up the rays and enjoying life. My family decided to take a week long vacation and I made the executive decision to miss a couple days of school and take this once in a lifetime trip. I’m telling you… this place is absolutely amazing! The temp is perfect, our house is straight from a picture book, and the views are surreal. I honestly feel like I am in heaven.

Hanging out in this idyllic location has really helped me to clear my mind and inevitably forced me to think about life and things I want to accomplish. I came up with a little list of goals… my “Top Three” if you will... and here they are! 1. Eat a foot long turkey sandwich from Subway in one sitting… 2. Surpass the clickers amount of Skips on my Skip-It… and 3. Write a book. I know I joked in an earlier entry about “Memoirs of a Laura” but it’s not just a joke. I am dead serious. Before I die I will have written a book and it will have been published… and it’s going to be ah-may-zing! And if nobody (well aside from my mom… she has to… it’s her job to like everything her kids produce) likes it I won’t care… I’m doing this for me and only me.

Now my dream would be to get a year where I could just sit here, on the beach, soaking up the rays… Take out my laptop and let my nimble little fingers go to town. However, the likelihood of me miraculously getting a year away from school, work, and life isn’t very good… so it might get a little tricky.

I’m thinking this mission will involve the CIA and the Witness Protection Agency… As a student in DC I’ve got a few connections, so this shouldn’t be much of a problem… quick name change (Sneaky Spice?) and location change (Caribbean, Hawaii, Australia, Minnesota… wherever.) and BAM! it’s book writing time!

Ok, now that I’ve got that minor detail settled… what the hell am I going to write about? Well, I’m taking a class right now at GW – which is actually why I am writing this blog… I know, God bless GW, otherwise you people would have never come across this beautiful creation and would ultimately be at a loss (and by “you people” I mean my mom and my grandma) – Anyway, this class is all about memoirs and autobiographies… and what I have gathered thus far is that it is pretty much a free for all. Nothing could please me more!! I’m kind of an odd person… my 2 favorite things in this world are organizing and planning… but I hate structure and having to follow directions when I’m writing… because structure + rules + writing = BORING! So, I go with the “do what you wanna do” theme… that’s what I’m all about. All right… so I’m doing what I want to do… fan-freaking-tastic… I can feel your support seeping through my computer screen… Anyway, I know you are dying to hear a brief synopsis of what my little love memoir is going be about… I mean with the title “Memoirs of a Laura” it doesn’t come as much of a surprise that it is going to be the story of my life… but I mean, I’m cool (and humble), so it should be fun! I’ll start with the birth of this cute little gem (stories I heard about before I started remembering) moving on to horrifying things that happened to me when I was a fat little kid all the way to present and my thoughts on the future. So… there’s my plan, now it’s just putting this all into action! When I get back to the District I’m having lunch with George and Laura so I’ll drop the idea of getting in touch with the big kids and go from there… As for now I’m going to stop blabbing on this bloggerific blog and get back to the beachin’ beach… I’m going to enjoy my week away from email, cell phones, and uptight people. Watch for my book folks… it’s going to be stellar!
God Bless! (And when I say God I am referring to whomever your God is… Our Father, Your Father, Dennis Rodman… whatever.)

*Written while I was at the beach… Submitted when I returned.

*Not sure why I decided to let you know that minute detail… but I wouldn’t want you to ever question my credibility like that damn James Frey… after all I would never dream of pissing Oprah off… Trust me, you will see Memoirs of A Laura in her book club. I’m as real as the cheddar cheese in Cheez-It's.

2 comments:

caroline said...

As always, your blog entries are entertaining. I appreciated the way that you linked to our course, too, reflecting on what it would mean to write your own memoir.

Anonymous said...

Well, Laura, very interesting stuff. You just never cease to amaze me. I have to live to be a century old, just to observe all you will accomplish. I am not saying this because you are my grandchild!!!! Love, Ginger