Friday, April 27, 2007

Live and Learn

I find it odd that I am sad about a class ending, but when it comes to my UW class, I am going to miss it a lot! It was an amazing class, amazing material, and an amazing professor. I feel that who is in a class really makes the class, when you enjoy the people you are around and when you feel comfortable sharing ideas and constructive criticism that is a good level to be at with people. We really helped each other grow, and I have made such great friends. It’s not everyday you get placed in a writing pod and you take a nap and spoon after the first project. (Long story, lets just say I am madly in love with my writing pod girls, Kat and Lindsay) As for the material, I found some things to be boring, but when it all culminated together at the end I truly feel that this class was a wonderful addition to my course load. And I really think it speaks highly of a class when a person (that’s me!) falls in love with their research paper and goes through withdrawal once it’s over (my current state.) I seriously think I need help because all I want to do is continue to research Ellen and find out more to add to my research. I mean for a good month I would eat, sleep, and breathe Ellen… I was literally obsessed with my paper. Like I said I think that speaks very highly of a class. It also speaks highly of the professor. (I’m going to make the assumption that she will read this after my grade is finalized, so… don’t call me a brown-noser, losers.) I honestly feel that Dr. Caroline Smith is one of the most amazing professors that I have come across in all my years (I know I’m young but that’s still a compliment… seeing as one of my best friends is a teacher… I love to connect with professors and I love creating friendships) CJS (we nicknamed her) is the perfect balance of funny and let’s get shit done, and she does everything without belittling us. I truly respect her and she has helped my writing EMENSELY! I feel so comfortable now going into my other classes and writing papers…. I have less stress, I feel as though I can prepare myself better, and I just have an overwhelming sense of power when writing now. When she reads this she may think it’s weird, but I would totally be friends with CJS in real life… she is so cool and down to earth, I am so glad that I was able to learn from her this year, she was truly amazing!

As I stated before, I feel SO much more comfortable with my writing. Also, CJS helped me conquer an issue that has caused me problems for years… controlling my voice. So I am very excited about that! And… now I am ready to write my memoir! I CAN’T WAIT!!

UW officially rocks. If I could major in UW I would… hmmm? I’ll think on that. Ok, well, this may be my last blog… sad. No it won’t. I’ll be back. We’ll do an “Adventures in Babysitting” series over the summer when I start my job where I play with kids and take them around DC! (Who in their right mind gave me this job… I’m banking on that fact that at least half of the kids are more mature than me…)

Well kids, it’s been fun!

Oh! PS. I am mailing my paper to Ellen with a letter attached saying that we should be BFF’s… so watch for me on her show… how great would that be? Trust me, I’ve had dreams about it… (Like I said: eat, SLEEP, and breathe… and I eat Ellen O’s… they are like cheerios, quite tasty and gluten free!) Ok, bye.

2 comments:

caroline said...

Great post! I'm glad that you had a good experience in UW20 (and I will totally friend you after the whole thing is officially over). I look forward to working in the housing program next year; maybe you, me, and Prof. Dave can coordinate some events. You completed all the posts on time, so you received an A on this assignment. Have a great summer!

Anonymous said...

You write very well.