Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Straight Up and WHA?

So in my UW class we basically learn to read and write well, two of the most important skills in life. We’ve read your basic works… Sylvia Plath, Santha Rama Rau, Audre Lorde, and just recently we moved on to Stephanie Klein… WHAT? Her sassy memoir, Straight Up and Dirty, kind of came out of nowhere. While I am not even close to complaining… I just think this proves how broad the spectrum can be when discussing autobiographies and memoirs… everything from depressing poetry about a lost love to slutty language about an Ex-fuck.

So, what do I think about Straight Up and Dirty and Ms. Kline? Well… I love her sassy way of life and how she LITERALLY created a tell-all book. She’s not hiding anything, and I like that about her. However, I am also one of the most innocent, naïve girls that this world has seen… so, let’s just say I have learned… quite a bit from Ms. Stephanie. As previously stated, I really do enjoy her honesty, and it is definitely a book that I will gladly read as opposed to prying my eyelids open with clamps as with some of our other readings in class.

While I am only a chapter into it, I am noticing that her bluntness and openness has almost caused me to lack sympathy for her, and I’m not quite sure why that is. Maybe as the book goes on I will start to feel for her… but right now she just seems like a slutty mess of a relationship. However this is only in terms of my standards of a woman – others may very well see her as a charming individual.

Maybe once I read more (and get past giggling whenever she talks about sex) I will appreciate her strength for coming out to the world with no walls – telling her story for what it is. We will see Miss Klein… as for now you are quite entertaining and I have learned more from you than I have from Cosmo. ☺

1 comment:

caroline said...

You might think a bit about how your observations might lead to questions. Maybe you want to ask Klein about her writing style? Or why she choses to write about such personal situations...